Graduate and Graduate Health Professional Students Short Cancer Research Programs at UAB
February 13, 2020

Graduate students and graduate health professional students (including medical students) who wish to undertake short cancer research projects at UAB may seek support from the programs listed below. In general, “short” research projects last only 8-12 weeks; the programs below do not support graduate students in ongoing fashion for a year or more. Interested students should review the application information on the websites indicated and contact the program directors for further information. For R25, U54 and T37 programs, U.S. citizenship or permanent residency in the U.S. is required.

Program and Grant Funding It Content and Location Program Directors and Website Eligibility
Cancer Research Experiences for Students (CaRES) Program (an R25 grant) Summer cancer research projects and didactic research education seminars at UAB and HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology (in Huntsville) Peter R. Smith, PhD UAB School of Medicine   John W. Waterbor, MD, DrPH UAB School of Public Health Medical students, graduate students, and graduate health professional students from UAB, Auburn University, University of South Alabama, Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine, Samford University, and Tuskegee University
Summer Cancer Research Education Program (SCREP)    (a U54 grant) Summer cancer education and research training at UAB, Morehouse School of Medicine, and Tuskegee University Ann S. Smith, MPH Minority Health & Health Disparities Research Center Division of Preventive Medicine UAB School of Medicine Medical students and graduate students enrolled at UAB, Morehouse School of Medicine, or Tuskegee University
Minority Health Research Training Program (MHRT) (a T37 grant) Short research projects on cancer and other diseases, in summer, fall or spring, in global settings and in U.S. minority populations Pauline Jolly, PhD UAB School of Public Health   Minority graduate (and undergraduate) students enrolled in a degree granting program at UAB or at any other accredited U.S. college or university