From Student to Professional: Words of Wisdom from Alumnus Hunter Freeman

Hunter Freeman, Program Coordinator at the UAB Women and Infants Center

By: Skylar Summers

During their time at UAB, many students will wonder what their degree could offer them after graduation. Though every program at UAB provides an array of marketable skillsets, I had the opportunity to hear from Hunter Freeman, a former Professional Writing student who is thriving in his new career as a Program Coordinator at the UAB Women and Infants Center.

Freeman emphasized that his connections at UAB were helpful in his hiring process. Dr. Wells, director of the University Writing Center and a Professional Writing and first year composition professor, emailed him about the position. Freeman added that although university connections might not launch one into their main career, they are especially valuable right after graduation, and can alleviate many concerns current students may have.

I also inquired about his experience at UAB, specifically as a Professional Writing major. He told me that course work is very important, elaborating that everything he did in Dr. Bacha’s class has been relevant. Going into specifics about how he landed his current position, Freeman told me, “I wrote an essay for Dr. McComiskey’s Creative Writing course and posted it on my portfolio that I made in Dr. Bacha’s class.”

A few months later, he was applying for a job. Freeman told me that Dr. Carlo, his current boss, looked through his portfolio, read his essay, and told him, “that alone proved I could do research, write persuasively, and organize my ideas.” After a series of interviews, Freeman landed the position as a Program Coordinator.

As we discussed further about skills learned at UAB, Freeman mentioned internships and working as a student. He told me that he worked in the Writing Center as a tutor; he met with students, corrected their writing and explained why certain things had to change. When he elaborated on his current job, which involves reading manuscripts, making edits, and explaining why those edits were made, the parallels became clear. He told me that knowing how to write is important, but the skills that he cultivated at UAB have also been useful.

Freeman went on to tell me about other professional writing skills that are unique to his experience: graphic design, web design, video production, database management and project management. Each helped make him marketable as an employee.

Freeman spoke specifically about Professional Writing versus other concentrations, including the HTML skillset he acquired throughout his courses. He said, “Those other majors are great, but I think Professional Writing is the best of the program because you really get the opportunity to diversify your skill set. Every professional writer can write an essay, but not every literature major knows some HTML.” He then added that, while the world is still full of those who believe English majors can only become teachers, it’s very possible to market yourself in an interview to prove you have the skills to do a wide variety of jobs.

Freeman then gave some interesting insight into his current jobs at the UAB Women and Infants Center and as a freelancer for the Addiction Prevention Coalition. Admitting that no job is exempt from monotony, including his current position, Freeman acknowledged that a lot of his job is typing memos, though he added that having discipline can lead to more fun projects in the future. This discipline has given him plenty of room to learn and change, and he has picked up skills that complement previous strengths.

On the topic of his freelance work, he said that it ranges from talking about statistics on the dangers of drugs to exploring why the new Lumineers album can act as a voice for those suffering through substance abuse disorders. Speaking more on this diversity of work, he told me that, as a professional, it’s just as important that all projects—whether monotonous or intriguing—are treated with the same amount of enthusiasm and commitment to quality.

To close our interview, Freeman told me that his experience in Professional Writing has given him the potential to transition to a wide variety of careers when the time is right. He said, “Professional Writing is a great major if you are willing to learn new things. It is the ultimate Jack of All Trades Major.”

As a student myself, I can speak for many in saying that this diversification of marketable skills is just what most—if not all—undergraduates look for when they choose a concentration. This makes Professional Writing even more worth considering. Hunter Freeman’s words of wisdom also help clarify a lot of what students learn in Professional Writing. Freeman’s final sendoff was encouraging, “Listen to Dr. Bacha. He’s got a lot of good wisdom to share if you pay attention.” I believe all students will very much agree.