Our Department Chairman, Dr. Dan Berkowitz, recently gave a “State of the Department” address. We were honored and humbled by the number of mentions of the Data Science team. Here are the highlights of the Data Science activities reported on during the State of the Department address.
In October 2021, we co-recruited a data scientist with Radiology. Dr. Ryan C. Godwin joined us shortly before his daughter was born, meaning we had the pleasure of welcoming him to the department and his daughter to the world! We have also recruited three data science interns for summer 2022.
Since January of 2021, our team has authored or co-authored seven published or accepted manuscripts.
- Zaky A, Younan DS, Meers B, Davies J, Pereira S, Melvin RL, Kidd B, Morgan C, Tolwani A, Pittet JF. End-of-procedure volume responsiveness defined by the passive leg raise test is not associated with acute kidney injury after cardiopulmonary bypass. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia. 2021 May 1;35(5):1299-306.
- Mamidi TK, Tran-Nguyen TK, Melvin RL, Worthey EA. Development of An Individualized Risk Prediction Model for COVID-19 Using Electronic Health Record Data. Frontiers in big Data. 2021 Jun 4;4:36.
- Berenhaut KS, Moore KE, Melvin RL. A social perspective on perceived distances reveals deep community structure. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2022 Jan 25;119(4).
- Treacher AH, Garg P, Davenport E, Godwin R, Proskovec A, Bezerra LG, Murugesan G, Wagner B, Whitlow CT, Stitzel JD, Maldjian JA. MEGnet: Automatic ICA-based artifact removal for MEG using spatiotemporal convolutional neural networks. NeuroImage. 2021 Nov 1;241:118402.
- Melvin RL, Abella JR, Patel R, Hagood JM, Berkowitz DE, Mladinov D. Intraoperative utilisation of high-resolution data for cerebral autoregulation: a feasibility study. British journal of anaesthesia. 2022 Mar 1;128(3):e217-9.
- Melvin RL, Broyles MG, Duggan EW, John S, Smith AD, Berkowitz DE. Artificial Intelligence in Perioperative Medicine: A Proposed Common Language with Applications to FDA-Approved Devices. Frontiers in Digital Health.:64.
- Melvin RL, Barker SJ, Kiani J, Berkowitz E. Pro-Con Debate: Should Code Sharing Be Mandatory for Publication? Anesthesia and Analgesia. In press.
We have 7 more manuscripts in active preparation! Additionally, we submitted 6 external funding applications and are preparing 2 more. Our work has been the focus of 6 conference presentations, 2 webinars, and an Intel Spotlight video. We’ve also spent this year teaching via 5 grand rounds, invited lectures and colloquia and taught 1 class with a fully new curriculum designed by us!
Vision, values and goals
Reflecting on this last year, we took a moment to recenter on our vision, values and goals. Reflecting on these, we’ve set 3 goals for the coming years.
- Integrate Data Science into all areas of the department, adding at least 1 operations and 1 education project.
- Integrate into at least 1 hospital-wide initiative.
- Publish at least 1 “precision” and 1 “prediction” paper per year.