The Magic City Data Collective is a public-private partnership to help our community make better decisions. MCDC brings together local students, researchers, and data experts in project teams to provide the information that Birmingham leaders need to move the Magic City forward. And the best part? It creates a pipeline of students who are uniquely qualified for and excited about jobs in the data industry.
Birmingham employers advertising jobs requiring analysis skills pay
65% or $26,000 higher
on average than jobs not requesting analysis skills.
Data scientists jobs in the Birmingham region have
increased by over 45%
over the past five years.
Data and analysis skills make up seven of the top
10 fastest growing skills
among LinkedIn professionals in the Birmingham region.
Magic City Data Collective
UAB Data Fellows
- Interested in data-related careers
- Eligible for paid summer employment
- Priority to students of color and graduates of BCS
Private Sector Data Guides
- Deep content expertise in data analytics
- Knowlege of data-related industries
- Willingness to work collaboratively
UAB Faculty and Graduate Students
- Deep content expertise in STEM pedagogy
- Experience facilitating team-based and project-based learning
- Ability to provide hands-on oversight and training
- Ability to assess team skill level, assign tasks to ensure quality/growth
- Desire to understand a community problem in a new way
- Willingness to sponsor (estimated $5K)
- Commitment to equitable, data-driven decision making