I am a biophysical chemist who combines single-molecule techniques with traditional physical chemistry and biochemistry to study nucleic acid structure, DNA damage, and gene regulation.
- Affiliate Instructor of Chemistry, Loyola University Maryland 2018-2019
- Postdoctoral Research in Biophysics, Johns Hopkins University 2019
- Doctor of Philosophy in Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Nebraska Medical Center 2010
- Bachelor of Science in Life Science, National Dong Hwa University 2003
Bok-Eum Choi, Ph,D.
I joined the Lee Lab in 2020 as a Postdoctoral Fellow. I study the structural dynamics of T-loops and TERRA in telomeres at single-molecule level.
- Post Doc. Washington DC VA Medical Center-Institute for Clinical Research (2018-2019)
- Ph.D. Georgetown University, Washington DC (2018). Thesis: Mechanistic Insights of Reactions Catalyzed by OMPB Lysine Methyltransferases. Advisor: David C.H. Yang, Ph.D.
- B.S. Towson University, Towson MD (2011). Thesis: Effect of base substitutions on the conformation of M. tuberculosis rRNA hairpins. Advisor: Ana-Maria Soto, Ph.D
Dominika Houserova, Ph,D.
Dominika Houserova, Ph,D.
I joined the lab as a post-doctoral fellow in Spring 2022 after obtaining my PhD in Medical Sciences at the University of South Alabama. My research interests include non-coding RNA regulatory networks and the effects of changes in G4 structure
I graduated with my Bachelor of Science in Chemistry from the University of Alabama in 2019. I started here at UAB in the Fall of 2019 and joined the Lee Lab in 2020. In this lab, I investigate the effect of salt concentration on various constructs of G-quadruplexes to probe whether they will unfold under those conditions. I use Total Internal Reflectance Fluorescence (TIRF) to measure the amount of Forster Resonance Energy Transfer (FRET) between two dyes on the DNA I use. Going forward, I’d like to work on improving surface passivation and moving from monovalent to possibly divalent cations.
Tanvir Ahmed Chowdhury
I joined the Lee lab in 2021 as a PhD student. I am interested in conformations and structural dynamics of Telomeric G-quadruplexes, telomeric loops, and their role in regulation of gene expression using single molecule microscopy technology.
- Officer, R&D, Biotech Division, Incepta Pharmaceuticals Ltd (2018-2021)
- Scientific Officer, Globe Biotech Ltd (2016-2018)
- M.S in Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology, University of Dhaka (2013)
- B.S in Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology, University of Dhaka (2012)
Undergraduate Students and Research Assistances
Jarod S. Lowe
Cheyanne Marie Lykins