DO YOU HAVE A PASSION FOR PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT & PEOPLE IN THE WORKPLACE?
Are you interested in…challenges, cutting-edge research, multidisciplinary interactions, and being part of an environmental and occupational health and safety profession?
A career in Environmental / Occupational Safety & Health is for you!
Scholarships, Stipends & Tuition Support
Available for MSPH and PhD in Industrial Hygiene
NIOSH tuition support is available to graduate students with US citizenship or residency
- MSPH in Industrial Hygiene. The Master of Science in Public Health (MSPH) curriculum with a concentration in Industrial Hygiene will provide students with an option to focus on industrial hygiene topics and provide an intensive research experience. Industrial hygiene professionals must be able to anticipate, recognize, evaluate, and control occupational hazards that may lead to disease. They may also require expertise in designing and conducting studies to assess the potential exposures to various chemical and physical agents which present a risk to workers, and to define safe limits for human exposures. The research aspect of this curriculum is conducted under the requirements of the UAB Graduate School and includes the formation of a research committee, defense of a research proposal, conduct of the research, preparation of a formal thesis, and presentation and defense of the thesis.
- PhD in Environmental Health Sciences. The PhD in the Department of Environmental Health Sciences is an academic research degree. The doctoral program prepares scientists for careers in academia, research, environmental program management, risk assessment, and policy. Didactic training and research in the identification, evaluation, and control of environmental and occupational hazards to human health are emphasized in this program. Students may concentrate on a wide variety of areas including industrial hygiene, exposure assessment, toxicology, environmental chemistry, air and water pollution, risk assessment, and management. In addition to understanding the advanced concepts of environmental health sciences, graduates of this program are expected to develop skills that will enable them to identify and define questions of environmental health importance, design research studies to address these questions, and to complete a program of research that demonstrates abilities as an independent investigator. Graduates are qualified to assume upper-level positions in the public or private sector in research, management, teaching, or consulting
- The Industrial Hygiene Program is a component of the Deep South Center for Occupational Health and Safety (DSC) at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and Auburn University. Our Center offers students rigorous studies to prepare for full interaction with other practitioners in planning, implementing and evaluating health and safety programs.
- Applicants should have a good academic record and meet the minimum requirements for admission to the School of Public Health. In addition, applicants should have some background in math and science and a commitment to conduct directed research (laboratory or field based) at the MS level.
- Admission Requirements & Application Deadline. Application must be submitted via Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS)
- Funding is available for eligible applicants through the DSC and the School of Public Health (SOPH).
- Tuition support and stipend are available for the trainees through DSC. Please contact the Program Director, Jonghwa Oh ( email@example.com).
The Industrial Hygiene Program is a component of the Deep South Center for Occupational Health and Safety at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and Auburn University. Our Center offers students rigorous studies to prepare for full interaction with other practitioners in planning, implementing and evaluating health and safety programs.