DO YOU HAVE A PASSION FOR PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT & PEOPLE IN THE WORKPLACE?
Are you interested in…challenges, cutting-edge research, multidisciplinary interactions, and being part of an environmental and occupational health and safety profession?
A career in Environmental / Occupational Safety & Health is for you!
Scholarships, Stipends & Tuition Support
Available for MSPH and PhD in Industrial Hygiene
NIOSH tuition support available to graduate students w/ US citizenship or residency
- MSPH in Industrial Hygiene. The Master of Science in Public Health (MSPH) curriculum with a concentration in Industrial Hygiene will provide students with an option to focus on industrial hygiene topics and provide an intensive research experience.Industrial hygiene professionals must be able to anticipate,recognize, evaluate, and control occupational hazards that may lead to disease.They may also require expertise in designing and conducting studies to assess the potential exposures to various chemical and physical agents which present a risk to workers, and to define safe limits for human exposures.The research aspect of this curriculum is conducted under the requirements of the UAB Graduate School, and includes: formation of a research committee, defense of a research proposal, conduct of the research, preparation of a formal thesis, and presentation and defense of the thesis.
- PhD in Environmental Health Sciences.The PhD in the Department of Environmental Health Sciences is an academic research degree.The doctoral program prepares scientists for careers in academia, research, environmental program management, risk assessment, and policy.Didactic training and research in the identification, evaluation, and control of environmental and occupational hazards to human health are emphasized in this program.Students may concentrate on a wide variety of areas including industrial hygiene, exposure assessment, toxicology, environmental chemistry, air and water pollution, risk assessment, and management.In addition to understanding the advanced concepts of environmental health sciences, graduates of this program are expected to develop skills that will enable them to identify and define questions of environmental health importance, design research studies to address these questions, and to complete a program of research that demonstrates abilities as an independent investigator. Graduates are qualified to assume upper-level positions in the public or private sector in research, management, teaching, or consulting
- Established in the UAB School of Medicine in 1975 as the Department of Public Health
- Consistently ranked in the top 25 nationally in research funding from the National Institutes of Health
- Strong collaboration with UAB School of Engineering & UAB School of Nursing
- Ranked among the top 15% of US colleges and universities by The Princeton Review
- Online courses!
- Interdisciplinary interaction through field activities, shared courses and seminars
- Students consistently receive awards from the American Industrial Hygiene Foundation, 3M, or ASSE
- Internationally recognized faculty
- One of only 18 Education &Research Centers (ERCs) sponsored by National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
- Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS)
- Coordinated Degrees Program
- Scholarships Opportunity
The Industrial Hygiene Program is a component of the Deep South Center for Occupational Health and Safety at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and Auburn University. Our Center offers students rigorous studies to prepare for full interaction with other practitioners in planning, implementing and evaluating health and safety programs.