- PhD & M.E (1991, 1988), Division of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Yokohama National University, Japan.
- B.Sc.(1982), Department of Computer Science, Nanjing Institute of Technology, China.
- 7/2015 – present Chair and Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- 8/2001-6/2015 Professor, Department of Software and Information Systems, UNC Charlotte.
- 2005-2008; Founding director of ISAC — Information Security and Assurance Center, UNC Charlotte.
- 3/1998-7/2001 Founding director of LINKS — Laboratory for Information and Network Security, Monash University, Australia.
- 1/2001 – 7/2001 Professor, School of Network Computing, Monash University, Australia.
- 1/1999 – 12/2000 Reader, School of Network Computing, Monash University, Australia.
- 3/1997 – 2/1998 Visiting Professor, Institute of Industrial Science, University of Tokyo, Japan.
- 1/1995 – 12/1998 Senior Lecturer, School of Computing and Information Technology, Monash University, Australia.
- 2/1992 – 1/1995 Lecturer, Department of Computer Science, University of Wollongong, Australia.
- 2/1991 – 2/1992 Post-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Computer Science, University College, University of New South Wales, Australian Defence Force Academy, Canberra, Australia.
- Associate Editor, The Computer Journal, Published by Oxford University Press, 1999-2008.
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on Information Theoretic Security, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, published in June 2008.
Steering Committee Membership
- The Public Key Cryptography (PKC) Annual Conference Series, since 1998 (co-founder and current Chair).
- Workshop on Information Theoretic (Long Term) Security, since 2005.
- The International Information Security Conference (ISC), since 2003.
- The International IEEE Security in Storage Workshop series, since 2006.
- The IEEE International Workshop on Information Assurance (IWIA), since 2003.
- CFA (Certification Forum of Australia), 1998-2001.
- ASIACRYPT Conference Series Steering Committee, 1996-1997.
- The 2004 International Information Security Conference (ISC04), Palo Alto, CA, Sept 27-29, 2004.
- The 2nd IEEE Computer Society International Workshop on Information Assurance, UNC Charlotte, April 8-9, 2004.
- ASIACRYPT2002, Queenstown, New Zealand, December 2002. (Appointed by the Board of Directors of IACR — International Association for Cryptology Research)
- The 2000 International Workshop on the Theory and Practice of Public Key Cryptography (PKC2000), Melbourne, January 2000.
- The 1999 International Information Security Workshop (ISW’99), Kuala Lumpur, November 1999.
- The 1999 International Workshop on the Theory and Practice of Public Key Cryptography (PKC’99), Kamakura, March 1999.
- The 1998 International Workshop on the Theory and Practice of Public Key Cryptography (PKC’98), Yokohama, February 1998.