I am Nilesh Kumar, a graduate student in the Department of Biology, UAB under the mentorship of Dr. Shahid Mukhtar. I joined UAB in Spring 2018 and working on Network Biology. My research interests are Network modeling, Mathematical modeling and application of Artificial Intelligence in Systems Biology.
I did my undergraduate study with major in Biotechnology (B.Tech 2009-2013) from Integral University Lucknow, India. My final year dissertation topic was “Fungus Mediated Extracellular synthesis of silver nanoparticles and its Antifungal & In-vitro cytotoxicity assay” under supervision of Professor Neelam Pathak, Department of Biosciences Integral University. Afterwards, I graduated with master’s degree “Master of Technology, Information Technology (Specialization in Bioinformatics)” in 2015 from Indian Institute of Information Technology Allahabad, India with GATE scholarship. My Master’s thesis was entitled “Mirtron Prediction through machine learning approach”, under the supervision of Professor Tapobrata Lahiri (Head, Department of Applied Science, IIIT Allahabad).
I joined International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, New Delhi, India in September 2015 as Junior Research Fellow in bioinformatics under Dr. Hemant Khuswaha for Projects(Sep 2015 – March 2017):
- Metabolic reconstruction of pathways and development of models to understand the process of nitrogen fixation. PERSONAL SKILLS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- “Cyanobacteria” Developed database of Riboswitches in Cyanobacterial species.
- Characterization of Glutaredoxin proteins in Monocots and Dicots.
- Analysis of Riboswitch Regulation in Cyanobacteria.
Furthermore, I worked in a joint project Dr. Ranjan Nanda and Dr. Dinesh Gupta (April 2017 – Jan 2018)
- “Development of a web based tool and database for volatome analysis”.
During this project I also participated in CASMI 2017.
Graduate Student, Department of Biology
UAB | The University of Alabama at Birmingham
Campbell Hall 242, 1300 University Blvd., Birmingham