I am currently working on a review of all FDA-approved Artificial Intelligence/ Machine Learning (AI/ML) algorithms in the perioperative space. The goals of this article-in-progress are to
- assess current state of AI in perioperative medicine,
- develop a user-friendly vocabulary for describing and categorizing algorithms, and
- apply the developed vocabulary to FDA-approved algorithms with perioperative utility and a primary citation.
I am seeking collaborators in our department. The parts I need help with are structured, which I think makes this project a great opportunity for those early on in their research career.
Presently, I have found an online database with 70 FDA-approved algorithms that make some mention of AI/ML in either their approval or marketing materials. Of those, 26 seem to have perioperative utility, and of those 26, 17 have a primary citation I can locate.
The pieces I need help with are
- reviewing my assessments of perioperative utility from a clinical perspective.
- discussing the categories this paper establishes and which algorithms should go in each category.
- Trying to find a primary citation for the 9 algorithms I could not locate.
If you are a UAB Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine clinical faculty member and you’ve been looking for an AI/ML research project to collaborate on, please reach out to me using this form or by finding my email in Outlook.