Graduate students attended 2022 AAI Advanced Course in Immunology in Boston

Students from Lund and Randall labs, accompanied by other students from UAB, attended 2022 AAI Advanced Course in Immunology in Boston. Among the 300 students who attended the course, UAB had the most students at 14, and 6 out of which came from the labs.

“Overall I enjoyed the course and was really glad to have gotten the chance to have gone,” said Hannah Meshell Canter. “I learned a lot about not only my field but in others as well. At the same time, learning about how certain the results came about was interesting. One of the most important things I learned were the different methods and mice that can be used. It was a great course, I got to meet so many people and have a chance to talk to the professors. It’s a course I would recommend to any grad student who wishes to gain a better understanding of immunology. 10/10 I would go again!”

“The conference gave a lot of useful information,” said Xinran Wang. “In resident memory B cell part, they did reference our labs paper and in B cell autoimmune tolerance they referenced our lupus paper. The course is strong and intense we probably need to rewatch the video again to memorize more information.”

“One interesting thing that I learned from the course,” said Eddie-Williams Owiredu. “Which is somehow related to my mouse project, was when Vijay K. Kuchroo mentioned during the “T Cell Tolerance and Autoimmunity” lecture that while the readout that you are expecting might not always show up, you need to open your mind to other possibilities. Even in the same model that seems not to be working, you may discover something cool and unexpected.”

“Oh, and I got a round of applause and a high-five from Wayne Yokoyama (the course director and AAI President, 2017-2018) for answering a question in neuroimmunology that no one could.”

by Eddie-Williams Owiredu

“It was intense and comprehensive,” said Susan Cheetham. “I had the opportunity to learn new approaches to address my research questions. For example, I had heard about single cell RNA-seq analysis, but this course provided an insightful overview on the concept and its applications. Also, interacting with the professors was really good. The structure of course provided the opportunity to network with other graduate students, post-docs and industry researchers in my areas of interest. It was engaging, interactive and fun! I would 100% recommend to it to other graduate students.”