Ebola Biosafety and Infectious Disease Operations: Health and Safety Essentials for Workers
This course is no longer being offered.
Click here for the course flyer
Length of Course: 4 hours (instructor-led live classroom session)
Prerequisite: 4-hour Biosafety and Infectious Disease Awareness Course
Course Goal: This course builds on the information presented in the Awareness-level Course. Participants will demonstrate biosafety knowledge and practical hands-on skills used to protect workers when responding to infectious disease threats. Using the most recent guidance on PPE, participants will receive feedback on proper donning and doffing techniques that can reduce exposure to infectious agents.
Target Audience: The target audience for this course are personnel who work in an industry where some workers may have occupational exposure to Ebola or other infectious materials.
- Review and summarize the key elements from Modules 1 through 5 of the Awareness Course
- Compare and contrast the utilization and benefits of personal protective equipment (PPE) available from various learner institutions
- Identify two to three infectious disease resources that can be used to guide PPE selection in response to an Ebola or other infectious disease event.
- Don and doff appropriate low and/or high output PPE for Ebola virus disease using an approved Ebola virus disease checklist
- Evaluate adherence to the low and/or high output checklist and ability to don and doff PPE without being contaminated
- Awareness content refresher
- Review of common PPE available in healthcare
- Pathogen Safety Data Sheet (PSDS) exercise
- Donning and Doffing video demonstrations
- Donning and Doffing practice session
- Donning and Doffing performance evaluation
Nursing and Social Work:
The Deep South Center for Occupational Health & Safety is an approved provider of continuing education units for nurses by the Alabama Board of Nursing (Provider #ABNP0420, expires 1/03/2019) and has awarded 5.0 contact hours for program participants.
Emergency Medical Services:
The Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS) CEU contact 4.0 (ADPH 17-R3-0049).
This offering has been approved for Emergency Medical Services continuing education by the Mississippi Bureau of Emergency Medical Services.