Ebola Biosafety and Infectious Disease Awareness: Health and Safety Essentials for Workers
This course is no longer being offered.
Length of Course: 4 hours
Modality: Online or instructor-led live classroom session
Course Goal: This course is designed for those working in both direct and in-direct patient care roles in the pre-hospital and healthcare environment. The goal of this course is to increase awareness about health and safety for those who could be potentially exposed to infectious diseases and contaminated materials while on the job.
Target Audience: The target audience for this course are personnel who work in an industry where some workers may have occupational exposure to Ebola or other infectious materials.
- Understand key elements of the chain of infection
- Recognize basic facts about selected infectious diseases
- Identify how workers in affected occupations may be exposed
- Define key steps in worker protection and infection control
- Understand relevant government standards, regulations, and guidelines
- Module 1. Infectious Materials and Means of Transmission
- Module 2. Isolation Precautions and Infection Prevention
- Module 3. Occupational Risk Assessment and Management
- Module 4. Hazard Communication, Occupational Exposure, & Incident Response
- Module 5. Infectious Materials Exercises
Nursing and Social Work:
The Deep South Center for Occupational Health & Safety is an approved provider of continuing education units for nurses by the Alabama Board of Nursing (Provider #ABNP0420, expires 1/03/2019) and has awarded 5.0 contact hours for program participants.
Emergency Medical Services:
The Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS) CEU contact 4.0 (ADPH 17-R3-0048).
This offering has been approved for Emergency Medical Services continuing education by the Mississippi Bureau of Emergency Medical Services.