Eligibility/Admissions and Program Requirements
Everything you need to know about applying for and going through the program
Applicants will be evaluated based on academic transcripts, awarded degrees, letters of recommendation and comprehensive statements of career goals and objectives. The specific criteria include:
- A 3.0 minimum GPA in their undergraduate studies or 3.5 minimum GPA as a student currently enrolled in the MS Cybersecurity program.
- Demonstration of legitimate interest in, and commitment to, pursuing IA-related careers after graduation.
- Compliance with all program requirements, including US citizenship or permanent residence and eligibility for US Government security clearance.
- Documented interest in, and dedication to, public service.
- Strength and resiliency of professional character to be gleaned through an interview (held either in person or remotely via a VoIP session).
The eligible candidates can apply directly to the MS Cybersecurity program, but should note that they are interested in the UAB SFS program in their statement of career goals and objectives. The deadline to apply for Spring 2021 is November 1, 2020. However, earlier applications are strongly encouraged.
The student enrolled in the UAB SFS program will have to complete the following requirements:
- Complete the 30 hour curriculum requirements of the Cybersecurity program, as listed here.
- Complete a 3 hour directed readings research course working with a faculty member involved in the program.
- Complete a summer internship at a federal, state, local or tribal government.
- Commit to working work for a federal, state, local or tribal government organization in a position related to cybersecurity for a period equal to the length of the scholarship after graduation.
- Actively participate in other SFS program activities as directed by the UAB SFS program director, including